Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Stuck in the house

So the past week and a half, Lola has been really sick. We came back from Denver and she had a fever and a huge fever blister on her bottom lip. I gave it a few days to make sure she was sick longer than a day or so. I hate calling going to the doctors and they just tell me that I can't do anything for them, except give them tylenol. What a waste of money! So I usually wait until after the weekend and it seemed like Lola was getting worse and she wasn't eating anything, which is really unusual for her. I googled her symptoms, which I usually do with my kids when they are sick, and I had suspected what she had. Sure enough, it was confirmed by the doctor. Simple terms, she had herpes. The doc said it was common at her age because they like to get into everything and use their hands for everything and just put them in her mouth. I make Caden wash his hands all day, but I forget about Lola. The doctor also said he saw two cases the day before our appointment so it was going around. The first time a child gets it is the worse. Her mouth was sore and bright read and had sores all around. Her throat was covered with sores and was worse than having strep. If we were lucky, it would last a week, but it usually lasts for two. Poor girl! The doc also said that most of us have the herpes virus inside of us, but we don't all break out in cold sores. Be careful out there, especially those with little ones. I don't even know where she got it. Caden has never had a cold sore, but that doesn't mean he didn't give it to her. Who knows? So we have been staying at home all week and she has had a diet full of ice cream, yogurt, pudding, pretty much anything cold and smooth. Doc said, the fattier the better. Just make her eat. So both kids, yes Caden too, had that the past week.

Well, it is nice to have our little girl back. She talks, giggles, and now plays by herself. It is nice to have Lola back. Of course she still screams at us, but it's not all day. Life is more enjoyable these days compared to the past week or so. I never thought something would happen to my Lola, but with more kids you get them out in public earlier and they get exposed by more. Keep them clean and safe. Hope none of you have to go through it.

Here are a few recent pictures of the kids.

Cutie, pa-tooties!


Crazy Kids!


Looking over at Daddy!

3 comments:

Wetzel Family said...

Your kids are so cute! I'm glad Lola's feeling better.

Kerri said...

Jonah was sick last week too and I agree...sick babies aren't much fun. Glad she's feeling better.

Delee said...

Poor, Lola! Sick kids are the worst (second only to you being sick also.)What a long week for you! I hope this next one is better.