Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School!


I had the Mommy moment today. My little boy isn't a little boy anymore. Caden had his first day of preschool today. He attends 2 days a week in the afternoons so Lola and I get some time together. I was so nervous for him. At the preschool's open house, he was shy and didn't want to play with the other kids other than Lola. So I got him dressed for the day this morning, went grocery shopping, and it was time to go. The morning flew by. He seemed excited, but I didn't know if he would understand that I wasn't going to be with him. He doesn't know any other kids so I was worried, but Caden is really social around other kids. He befriends anybody and everybody. Once we got into school, he was shy and didn't want to see or talk to his teachers. Oh no....I was more nervous. He went potty there, which he got scared because I shut the door for privacy, but he freaked out that he couldn't see me. At home, he is used to doors wide open and no privacy at all. He was scared I was leaving. I was more nervous than before. He went right to the playroom and I sneaked away. I didn't hear any crying or screaming or a little boy chasing after me so it was ok. Lola was the one that had the fit. She wanted to stay and play at school. On our way home, she didn't make it. Lola was fast asleep.

When it was time to pick him up, I was scared that something crazy happened or he had an accident. He absolutely loved it. He got a school bag filled with Scholastic book order form (which I love), he told me all about his day. They played, read books, puzzles, made play dough, sang songs, and ate yellow, circle cookies aka Nilla Wafers. He played with friends and loves his teachers. He can't wait to go next time. I am so excited that he is going. Lola slept the entire time and woke up right before we had to pick him up. He couldn't wait to tell Daddy about his day at school so we had to call him at work. My Caden boy is growing up.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that feeling, dropping Ollie off at his first day. Same conclusion :: I swear it was way better than mommy time.

But now I am in a whole new realm of detachment and it's pretty surreal.